Michael is joint-head of the Housing Management Team at Capsticks. In addition to leading the team, Michael works with Registered Providers and Councils nationally on all aspects of Housing Management. He also previously advised private landlords and tenants.
Michael advises social landlords on all aspects of housing management from drafting and interpreting tenancy agreements, policies and other documentation to advising on complex succession disputes, disrepair matters and high-profile anti-social behaviour cases. He represents clients on Public Law, Equality Act and Human Rights Act challenges and advises on complaints handling. He has also represented clients at coroner’s inquests and frequently oversees multi-agency approaches to resolve matters including through alternative dispute resolution.
Michael undertakes training nationally for clients and sector leaders such as the Chartered Institute of Housing, Resolve, National Housing Federation, Housemark, Lime Legal and Capita. He is also a regular contributor to housing media.
- Regularly speaks at and chairs national housing conferences
- Legal advisor to the CIH knowledge hub
- Asked by the Home Office to help stress test the Anti-Social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014
Represented Registered Providers on many leading cases:
- Medina Housing Association v Case
- Moat Homes v Harris & Hartless
- Longhurst Housing Association v Killen
- Raglan Housing Association v Fairclough
- Saxon Weald Homes Ltd v Chadwick
- BA (Hons) Law Bournemouth University
Chambers/ Legal 500 rankings
Ranked in Band 1 as a leading lawyer.
"He is so approachable and we have so much confidence in him. His knowledge is vast and up to date, and he has always got time for us."
“He responds very promptly, has a clear and concise way of answering queries and is very receptive to feedback, taking the time to understand what the client needs”