The Capsticks Diploma in Clinical Risk and Claims Management is nationally regarded as important training for clinical risk managers and claims managers as well as practising clinicians.
The course aims to introduce delegates to best practice in risk and claims management. Sessions are led by Capsticks lawyers and risk/claims professionals.
The course takes place in London, Leeds and Birmingham, involving one day attendance each month for a period of 6 months starting from September 2020 to March 2021, followed by an exam in May 2021 in each location.
The scheduled timings for each day will be: 9.30am registration, 10.00am start and 4.00pm close. Please note, these timings are subject to change but will be confirmed before the course begins. Due to current restrictions, our intention is to run the sessions online via Zoom.
Applications are now closed. Acceptance correspondence will be issued to successful candidates in mid-August.
- A day designed to give an introduction to why accidents happen including root cause analysis, the reporting of patient safety incidents and how this can result in effective risk management.
Birmingham: 15 September (10:00-12:30) and 16 September (10:00-12:45)
Leeds: 8 September (10:00-12:30) and 9 September (10:00-12:45)
London: 1 September (10:00-12:30) and 2 September (10:00-12:45)
- A day focusing on the key risk areas outside obstetrics.
• Standards for better health explained
• Risk registers and risk reduction
• Integrated governance
• Audit and inspection
Birmingham: 20 October (10:00-13:00) and 21 October (10:00-13:00)
Leeds: 13 October (10:00-13:00) and 14 October (10:00-13:00)
London: 6 October (10:00-13:00) and 7 October (10:00-13:00)
- An introduction to the key elements of clinical negligence provided by Capsticks' lawyers.
• Breach of duty and causation
• How long do patients have to bring a claim?
• Obtaining statements from clinicians
• Analysing and reporting claims
Birmingham: 17 November (10:00 - 12:15) and 18 November (10:00 - 13:00)
Leeds: 10 November (10:00 - 12:15) and 11 November (10:00 - 13:00)
London: 3 November (10:00 - 12:15) and 4 November (10:00 - 13:00)
- Maternity care is responsible for more than half the costs of clinical negligence litigation and most of the very big claims. The Diploma identifies the more common risks and how to reduce them.
Birmingham: 19 and 20 January 2021 (10:00 - 13:00)
Leeds: 12 and 13 January 2021 (10:00 - 13:00)
London: 6 and 7 January 2021 (10:00 - 13:00)
- Capsticks' lawyers will take you through the stages of the litigation process from the first letter from solicitors to eventual settlement/trial.
• What to do when you get a letter of claim
• Disclosure of patient information
• How to deal with litigation and mediation
Birmingham: 16 and 17 February 2021 (10:00 - 13:00)
Leeds: 9 and 10 February 2021 (10:00 - 13:00)
London: 2 and 3 February 2021 (10:00 - 13:00)
- A day focusing on the often high profile medico-legal emergencies in which important decisions need to be taken very quickly. The day also gives an introduction to the law of consent.
• Refusal of treatment
• Withholding and withdrawing treatment
• Child protection
Birmingham: 16 and 17 March 2021 (10:00 - 13:00)
Leeds: 9 and 10 March 2021 (10:00 - 13:00)
London: 2 and 3 March 2021 (10:00 - 13:00)
Thursday 6 May 2021 for Birmingham, Leeds and London.
The total cost of undertaking the Diploma course is £1,800, plus VAT. This can be paid in either one or two instalments by your employer; self-funded students receive a 10% discount off their fees. Lunch and refreshments are included in the course fee.
- Capsticks Birmingham office, 35 Newhall Street, Birmingham, B3 3PU
- Capsticks Leeds office, Toronto Square, Toronto Street, Leeds, LS1 2HJ
- Capsticks London office, 1 St George’s Road, Wimbledon, London, SW19 4DR
If you have any questions please email firstname.lastname@example.org