The Capsticks Diploma in Clinical Risk and Claims Management is nationally regarded as important training for clinical risk managers and claims managers as well as practising clinicians.
The course aims to introduce delegates to best practice in risk and claims management. Sessions are led by Capsticks lawyers and risk/claims professionals.
The course will be conducted online via Zoom, involving attendance for two half-day sessions each month for a period of 6 months starting from September 2022 to March 2023, followed by an online exam in May 2023.
The scheduled timings for each day will be: 9.30am registration, 10.00am start and 1.00pm close. The dates and times for the course are set out below. Please check you are able to attend before applying.
Please note, these timings are subject to change but will be confirmed before the course begins.
Applications are now open. Apply here.
- A day designed to give an introduction to why accidents happen including root cause analysis, the reporting of patient safety incidents and how this can result in effective risk management.
Birmingham: 20 September (10:00-12:30) and 21 September (10:00-12:45)
Leeds: 13 September (10:00-12:30) and 14 September (10:00-12:45)
London: 6 September (10:00-12:30) and 7 September (10:00-12:45)
- A day focusing on the key risk areas outside obstetrics.
• Standards for better health explained
• Risk registers and risk reduction
• Integrated governance
• Audit and inspection
Birmingham: 18 October (10:00-13:00) and 19 October (10:00-13:00)
Leeds: 10 October (10:00-13:00) and 11 October (10:00-13:00)
London: 4 October (10:00-13:00) and 5 October (10:00-13:00)
- An introduction to the key elements of clinical negligence provided by Capsticks' lawyers.
• Breach of duty and causation
• How long do patients have to bring a claim?
• Obtaining statements from clinicians
• Analysing and reporting claims
Birmingham: 15 November (10:00 - 12:15) and 16 November (10:00 - 13:00)
Leeds: 8 November (10:00 - 12:15) and 9 November (10:00 - 13:00)
London: 1 November (10:00 - 12:15) and 2 November (10:00 - 13:00)
- Maternity care is responsible for more than half the costs of clinical negligence litigation and most of the very big claims. The Diploma identifies the more common risks and how to reduce them.
Birmingham: 24 and 25 January (10:00 - 13:00)
Leeds: 17 and 18 January (10:00 - 13:00)
London: 10 and 11 January (10:00 - 13:00)
- Capsticks' lawyers will take you through the stages of the litigation process from the first letter from solicitors to eventual settlement/trial.
• What to do when you get a letter of claim
• Disclosure of patient information
• How to deal with litigation and mediation
Birmingham: 21 and 22 February (10:00 - 13:00)
Leeds: 7 and 8 February (10:00 - 13:00)
London: 31 January and 1 February (10:00 - 13:00)
- A day focusing on the often high profile medico-legal emergencies in which important decisions need to be taken very quickly. The day also gives an introduction to the law of consent.
• Refusal of treatment
• Withholding and withdrawing treatment
• Child protection
Birmingham: 21 and 22 March (10:00 - 13:00)
Leeds: 14 and 15 March (10:00 - 13:00)
London: 7 and 8 March (10:00 - 13:00)
Thursday 4 May 2023 for Birmingham, Leeds and London (conducted online over Zoom).
The total cost of undertaking the Diploma course is £1,800, plus VAT. This can be paid in either one or two instalments by your employer; self-funded students receive a 10% discount off their fees.
- Capsticks Birmingham office, 1 Temple Row, Birmingham, B2 5LG
- Capsticks Leeds office, Toronto Square, Toronto Street, Leeds, LS1 2HJ
- Capsticks London office, 1 St George’s Road, Wimbledon, London, SW19 4DR
The course content and exam will be delivered fully online. Attendance at our offices is not required.
If you have any questions please email [email protected]