Henry is head of our Real Estate team in the Midlands. He joined Capsticks upon qualification as a lawyer in 2008, after training with a leading City law firm. Henry delivers a broad range of commercial property work for healthcare clients including NHS organisations (commissioner and provider), private healthcare clients, social enterprises, charities and GP practices.
Henry advises on all aspects of commercial property. His particular expertise includes:
- acquisition and disposal of development properties
- LIFT schemes
- large scale due diligence on business sales
- negotiation of commercial leases
- large scale occupancy regularisation projects
- general landlord and tenant law including licences to alter, licences to underlet, rent reviews and wayleave agreements
- NHS capital grant agreements and associated deeds of charge
- Premises aspects of GP and other primary care contracts including advice on the Premises Cost Directions.
Henry is also a member of West Midlands HEFMA, and lectures regularly on NHS Estates issues and primary care contracting, including NHS Estatecode, the Premises Cost Directions and NHS joint ventures.
- Acted for South Staffordshire and Shropshire Healthcare NHS FT on its merger with Staffordshire & Stoke on Trent Partnership NHS Trust to create one of the biggest mental health trusts in the UK (2018)
- Acting for Sandwell and West Birmingham NHS Trust on the multi-million pound disposal of it City Hospital site to the HCA for housing as part of the government’s accelerated housing programme (2017).
- Acted for 2gether NHS Foundation Trust in connection with its acquisition of a new HQ (2016).
- Acted for Southern Health NHS Foundation Trust in relation to the creation of a vanguard Multi-Speciality Community Provider (MCP) in Hampshire (2015-present).
- Dealt with the property arrangements associated with a number of acquisitions / mergers of NHS Trusts (2014-present).
- Acted for a private healthcare provider in relation to the development of five new radiotherapy cancer treatment centres in the UK (2014-present).
- Jointly acting for South Staffordshire and Shropshire NHS FT and the Department for Health on the three phase disposal of Shelton Hospital to a developer (2013-present).
- Led the property due diligence and Property Transfer Scheme work for 12 PCTs as part of the abolition of the PCTs and the restructure of NHS commissioning (2012—2013).
- Acted for various PCTs on the transfer and redevelopment of around 70 properties, occupied by people with learning difficulties, to various housing providers (2008-2012).
- BSc Hons, Edinburgh University, Physiology, 2003
- Graduate Diploma in Law, College of Law, 2005
- Diploma in Legal Practice, 2006
- West Midlands HEFMA
- Primary Care Premises Forum
Chambers/ Legal 500 rankings
Henry is part of the Firm’s GP advisory team which was named Legal Team of the Year at the 2015 and 2016 General Practice Awards, and shortlisted for Legal Service Provider of the Year in 2018. Henry is described as “excellent” and was named as a “Next Generation Lawyer” by the Legal 500 in 2018.