Head of NHS Healthcare, Partner
Andrew is Head of Capsticks’ national NHS Healthcare practice and a Partner in the employment and pensions division. Having started with the firm as a trainee, he has been with Capsticks for over 22 years, working with NHS clients daily. As Head of Healthcare, Andrew leads the firm’s 200-strong healthcare team in providing an excellent service to our NHS clients.
Andrew also deals with the whole range of employment law queries but has a specific interest in dealing with doctor cases under the national framework, Maintaining High Professional Standards in the Modern NHS. He has led on several leading cases arising out of that framework (see below) and specialises in helping clients to resolve doctor issues. Andrew also advises clients on their most sensitive senior executive terminations, whether by way of a settlement agreement or through formal processes.
Andrew’s experience extends to advising clients on potential changes to national terms and conditions, the processes that need to be followed to achieve this and associated employee relations issues. His work in this area has led to ground-breaking instructions from new clients and STP groups who are keen to explore ways of achieving change. He also leads the firm’s work with NHS Employers.
- High Court cases include: Kerslake v NWLH NHS Trust, Fynes v St George’s Healthcare NHS Trust and Chakrabarty v Ipswich Hospital NHS Trust (intervening on behalf of the National Clinical Assessment Service).
- Working with NHS Employers on national projects such as portability of employees, industrial relations, interpretation of national contracts and the impact of Brexit.
- Working with organisations across health and emergency services on positive action and the legal flexibilities available to employers.
- Employment Lawyers Association
- BA (Hons) Law, Nottingham University, 1995
Chambers/ Legal 500 rankings
Clients find Andrew to be an "outstanding solicitor" and "extremely knowledgeable". They describe him as "outstanding on the litigation side because he is steady, assured and excellent at dealing with clients".
- Training contract qualification date: 1998