Partner, Head of the Medical Technology Group
Stephen advises on a wide range of corporate, commercial and finance transactions in the healthcare and infrastructure sectors.
Stephen has market leading experience in the “Med Tech” sector, particularly in relation to managed equipment services, software-as-a-service and innovative models of financing medical devices.
Stephen leads Capsticks’ Medical Technology Group which focuses on providing legal advice to the Med Tech sector across a wide range of matters including litigation, regulatory and transactions.
Stephen advises on:
- acquisitions and disposals of companies and assets
- joint ventures and collaborations
- public private partnerships including PFI and LIFT models
- the financing of projects and assets, including medical devices, through project finance or asset finance structures
- the supply of goods and services.
Stephen's clients include a number of the leading global Medical Technology manufacturers, one of the world’s leading leasing companies which specialises in providing medical technology management services and infrastructure investment funds.
Stephen has advised on a wide range of matters including those listed below:
- advised Ernst and Young, in its capacity as Trust Special Administrator, on the dissolution of the Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust and the transfer of all its assets and liabilities to two other NHS Trusts. The transaction was the first time a distressed NHS Foundation Trust was put into Trust Special Administration and dissolved
- advised a leading global Medical Technology company on a number of managed services transactions relating to the supply of endoscopy equipment to NHS Trusts and NHS Foundation Trusts
- advised a leading global Medical Technology company on the sale of linear accelerators and related equipment and services to a vendor neutral supplier of managed equipment services
- advised a leading global Medical Technology company on the provision of an automated pharmacy service to a NHS Foundation Trust
- advised a leading global Medical Technology company on the provision of an integrated theatre solution including construction, equipment, consumables and related services to a NHS Trust
- advised a leading global Medical Technology company on the development of its standard Terms and Conditions for the provision of "Software as a Service"
- advised a leading global Medical Technology company on the development of its standard Terms and Conditions for the sale of medical equipment and related services
- advised a leading leasing company which specialises in providing medical technology management services on the development of an innovative funding model and on the purchase of equipment and receivables from a number of Med Tech manufacturers
- advised the majority shareholders of a major private sector provider of radiology and imaging services on a private equity investment from a leading private equity house
- advised a leading NHS Foundation Trust on the acquisition of a power plant from a private sector facilities management company
- advised an infrastructure investment fund on several acquisitions of infrastructure assets (shares and sub-debt) including the £50 million acquisition of shares in a portfolio of infrastructure assets
- advised a leading energy provider on a range of transactions relating to the funding, installation and maintenance of Smart Meters.
- Law Society
- Keble College, University of Oxford, B.A. in Modern History
Chambers/ Legal 500 rankings
Stephen is recognised in the legal directories for the healthcare sector.
The Legal 500 has described Stephen as being “pragmatic” and “knowledgeable” (Legal 500, 2012) and as having “notable transactional expertise” (Legal 500, 2015).