Majid leads the firms medical malpractice insurance team with considerable experience advising the NHS , Lloyds underwriters, and a leading medical defence organisation on claims and associated proceedings.
Majid is best known for his considerable expertise advising doctors, hospitals and indemnifiers in clinical negligence. He also handles clinical trials and product liability claims for insurers. He advises hospitals and professional sports bodies and medical teams on clinical risk management and governance matters. His clients include medical malpractice underwriters, the MDDUS, British Athletics, Football Association of Wales and Liverpool Football Club.
Majid developed the “Capsticks Toolkit” for clients in response to the report into Mid Staffordshire Hospitals NHS Trust by Sir Robert Francis QC. He has also been involved in a number of NHS Resolution-Safety and Learning reports on maternity care as well as mental health.
Reported cases include:
- Braithwaite v Homerton University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust  EWHC353 •
- Badri v Dr Hariram and Dr Freed  EWHC2122 (QB)
- Associate – Institute of Risk Management
- Fellow of the Royal Geographical Society
- MA, Medical Ethics and Law, Kings College University of London
- AIRM London 2001
- LL.B (Hons) University of Leeds 1992
Chambers/ Legal 500 rankings
Ranked in Band 1 as a leading lawyer.
Chambers and Partners: The absolutely fantastic” Majid Hassan is described as “an incredibly safe pair of hands” by clients. He is vastly experienced handling medical malpractice cases of the utmost severity for the NHS and Insurers.
- “Error in Accident and Emergency Medicine”; NHSLA Review Issue 32, 2005
- “Informed consent and the Law- an English legal perspective”: Hassan, 2008, Digestive Diseases.
- “Complications of ERCP: ethical obligations and legal consequences”; Racz, Rajchrt, Hassan, 2008, Digestive Diseases.
- “Ethical and Legal implications in seeking providing a second medical opinion”; Axon, Hassan, Niv, Beglinger, Rokkas, 2008, Digestive Diseases.
- “Ten Years of Maternity Clams – Analysis of NHS Litigation Authority Data” – October 2012 Wrongful birth: Clinical settings and legal implications, Hassan, M., Chitty, L., Reardon, H; Seminars in Fetal & Neonatal Medicine; issue 678; 2014
- “Duty to Warn?” - MDDUS – Insight August 2017
- “A question of candour” – MDDUS Insight – July 2014
- “Concussion in professional sport - The legal consequences” – SEMPRIS – November 2016