After working in the City for four years, Laura joined Capsticks in 2010 to specialise in employment healthcare law. She was promoted to Legal Director in September 2020. Laura conducts complex and sensitive cases, specialising in litigation work for Acute Trusts and the Metropolitan Police. She has also developed expertise in IR35 and doctors disciplinary issues and regularly provides training to NHS managers and HR professionals.
Laura advises on capability and conduct concerns about doctors, and manages high profile and complex Employment Tribunal cases (all types of discrimination, dismissal, whistleblowing and contract claims) and High Court proceedings. Laura has become a “go to” lawyer for clients on IR35 and MHPS issues, and matters involving tight deadlines, sensitive handling of witnesses, media attention and wider safety concerns.
- Complex whistleblowing and unfair dismissal claims arising from the dismissal of a consultant and a nurse, involving multiple Tribunal and EAT hearings, advice on GMC proceedings and FOI requests, and careful handling of queries from the press and the CQC.
- Handling a claim from 15 bank interpreters and their union, for unfair dismissal, redundancy payments and failure to inform and consult.
Admitted as a Solicitor
- Employment Lawyers Association
- Law Degree LLB (Hons) Cambridge University 2002
- Legal Practice Course from the Oxford Institute of Legal Practice 2004
- Training contract qualification date March 2006
Laura writes regular e-alerts on significant changes in employment law.