Partner, Head of Commercial and Independent healthcare
Mike is a partner in the Commercial department and is based in our Birmingham office. Mike leads our Midlands commercial team and provides corporate and commercial contracting advice to both NHS and private sector clients.
Mike has a wealth of experience of mergers and acquisitions and other corporate activity. He was the lead commercial partner on a number of TCS transactions, including “vertical integrations” and three aspirant Community Foundation Trust transfers. Acting for private sector healthcare clients Mike has led on a series of corporate acquisitions, private equity investments and joint ventures.
Mike provides contracting and commercial legal advice to NHS and private sector healthcare providers in relation to specialist contracting arrangements such as joint ventures, outsourcing, managed equipment services and consultancy arrangements as well as advising on general day to day commercial agreements with suppliers and NHS Standard Contracts. In addition, Mike provides advice to emergency services clients.
Prior to joining Capsticks, Mike was a partner in the corporate team at a leading national law firm where he provided corporate and commercial legal advice on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, restructurings, outsourcings and partnerships acting for a wide variety of public sector clients, companies and other corporate vehicles.
The Legal 500 2009 states that “Mike Clifford displays ‘practical knowledge of commercial matters.’”
- East Midlands Strategic Health Authority on outsourcing of the Family Health Services of 9 PCTs to NHS Shared Business Services
- Shropshire Community Health NHS Trust double TCS transfer and new trust establishment
- Lincolnshire Community Health Services NHS Trust TCS and Derbyshire Community Health Services NHS Trust TCS transfers and new trust establishment
- An NHS Trust on an income generation managed call-off agreement relating to the provision of consultant and clinical nursing teams to a private sector healthcare provider
- An NHS Foundation Trust in relation to a pathology managed equipment service
- Acting for a leading private sector healthcare provider on a novel corporate acquisition and related establishment of a strategic joint venture oncology services business
- HCA International in relation to various contractual and corporate healthcare joint ventures, including Wellington Diagnostics and Cyberknife
- Acting for a leading private sector healthcare provider on the earn-out acquisition of a private primary care provider business
- Clarity Commerce Solutions Plc on various acquisitions and fundraisings including Flex Systems, Matra Holdings and Pacer CATS
BA (Hons) University of Kent
Law Society Finals – College of Law