James is a Senior Solicitor at Capsticks in our Housing & Regeneration team. James has previously worked in the City and for another top 100 regional law firm based in Hampshire. James’ background has given him a wide range of commercial property experience which has included:
- acquisitions and disposals of land for development;
- acting for both landlords and tenants in respect of the grant of commercial leases and matters relating to leasehold management;
- a virtual secondment to the Isle of Wight Council to provide day to day advice to the council’s property team, both in relation to the disposal of assets and general property management including licences to occupy and tenancy agreements.
He now specialises in acting on behalf of registered providers and private developers advising on matters of acquisition, development, regeneration projects and other related commercial property matters.
James’ experience includes advising both landowners and developers on entering into option agreements, conditional contracts and development agreements for the acquisition and disposal of land for development.
James currently acts for a number of our registered providers both on land led and section 106 led schemes including golden brick and turnkey acquisitions. He has experience of both site acquisition and negotiating section agreements and service easements with local authorities and service providers.
As a part of his work James provides detailed reports on title covering title matters, searches, landowner/developer enquiries, provisions contained in section 106 agreements, planning related issues, the terms and provisions of the transaction documents and provides practical advice and solutions in respect of these matters.
- The acquisition of affordable units on the Duchy of Cornwall’s Nansledan estate for Livewest
- Acting for Vivid on its acquisition of 33 affordable dwellings at the former Drayton Dairy site in Portsmouth.
- Acting for Orbit in relation to the installation of services and entering into section agreements with multiple parties on its site at Micklewell Park in Daventry relating to the construction of 450 new homes.
- Advising SOHA on its acquisition of 44 affordable homes at Sonning Common, South Oxfordshire.
- Advising Aster in respect of land disposals and providing general advice on land ownership matters.
- Acting for a new developer on the acquisition of the former Gosport police station in Hampshire under conditional contract for the construction of 88 new dwellings.
Admitted as a Solicitor
- BA Hons – University of Wales, Lampeter
- LLB Hons – College of Law, Guildford