Clinical negligence and risk management
Capsticks has been rated as the leading defendant clinical negligence firm in London by both the Legal 500 and Chambers since its inception. Not only does our team of experienced lawyers assist our clients with litigation but we also advise on a variety of legal matters before and after litigation such as instigation and handling of complaints, serious untoward incident reports, risk management and reputation management following adverse incidents.
Capsticks has been a member of the NHS Litigation Authority's Clinical Negligence Panel since its inception in 1998. We also act for the leading medical malpractice insurers and regularly liaise with independent clinics and treatment centres in relation to the management of claims and complaints against them.
Our extensive experience and expertise in handling claims helps us to provide practical advice to our clients on risk management in a clinical setting. This is done through publications, lectures to clinical staff as well as reports to hospital boards on risk reduction and the identification, analysis and control of clinical error. The Capsticks Diploma in Risk Management and Claims Handling, continues to be recognised as an essential qualification for risk and litigation managers nationwide.
In summary our work includes
- Advising on how to respond to complaints by patients
- Reviewing and assisting with the preparation of Serious Untoward Incident reports
- Attendance at Inquests and assessing the implications arising from an Inquest
- Defending individual doctors at the GMC
- Defending civil negligence claims for the NHS and private medical insurers
- Advising on risk management and reputation management issues associated with claims and litigation