Ian is a partner in Capsticks’ Health and Public Law team. Ian advises health and social care clients on a wide range of legal issues relating to the regulation of health and social care providers and the care and treatment of patients.
Ian supports clients through complex and sensitive matters such as inquests, inquiries, serious incidents and police investigations. He also frequently advises clients on confidentiality, data protection, mental health and mental capacity law and safeguarding vulnerable adults and children.
Ian is highly regarded by Chief Executives and Boards of NHS provider trusts for the advice and support he offers on Care Quality Commission regulation, which has included challenging regulatory and enforcement action taken by the CQC and also providing governance advice on how to achieve and demonstrate compliance with CQC standards.
- Successfully challenging ratings awarded by the CQC in draft reports and moving providers from ‘inadequate’ to ‘requires improvement’, thus avoiding Special Measures.
- Designing and delivering training for Boards and Senior Leadership Teams on the new CQC inspection regime and the meaning of the 5 key questions of ‘safe’, ‘effective’, ‘caring’, ‘responsive’ and ‘well-led’.
- Delivering a programme of mock CQC interviews and inspections for a large registered provider facing a ‘new style’ CQC inspection.
- Due diligence - health regulatory advice provided to public and private health clients involved in mergers and acquisitions.
- Advice to an NHS Trust following a patient death which led to a large-scale police investigation for corporate and individual manslaughter.
LLB (Hons), Leeds University