Robert is a partner working in the Commercial team. His current work has included advice on new integrated care pathway models and contractual structures for NHS organisations including review of outcomes based arrangements and alliance contracting. He has also advised national NHS bodies on the development of strategy for commissioning support services.
More generally he advises on a variety of commercial agreements, for a diverse range of public and private health sector clients (including commercial organisations as well as DoH, foundation trusts and other NHS bodies). He has also advised on a wide variety of PPP, commercial and Information Technology (“IT”)/ Intellectual Property (“IP”) related agreements.
He has delivered internal and external seminars on integration, new NHS contract models and contracting and procurement skills, competitive dialogue and strategic partnering issues.
Specialties: NHS contracting, integrated models, CCG CSU and AHSNs , NHS mergers and acquisitions, primary care contracts, joint ventures and public private partnerships, NHS LIFT, procurement and commercial contracts.
Legal 500 2014: "The ‘excellent’ Robert McGough assisted in shaping the development and framework for 45 clinical commissioning groups (CCGs)."
Robert advised NHS bodies on the transition to the new structures for April 2013 and led on support for the development and authorisation of Clinical Commissioning Groups (as well as advising clients on the impact of the changes in the NHS structure being introduced by the Health and Social Care Act 2012).
He developed a national approach to advice on the Transforming Community Services for a large number of PCTs and FTs as well as working with SHAs. This included the production of national template documentation. He has advised a number of foundation trusts on mergers/acquisitions including the acquisition of Scarborough by York Teaching Hospitals NHS FT and a number of NHS/NHS and NHS/Private joint ventures.
- Team effort: Commissioning through alliance contracts
Health Service Journal - November 22, 2013 (With Dr Rupert Dunbar-Rees - Outcomes Based Healthcare)
- The role of CCGs following the Francis report - HSJ - September 23, 2013
Conflicts of interest in CCG procurement - Governance & Compliance - July 2013 - (With Dr Rupert Dunbar-Rees - Outcomes Based Healthcare)
- Community services: challenges in retendering and renewal - HSJ - July 2013
- Beyond authorisation: new challenges facing CCGs - HSJ - May 2013
- Shaping Academic Health Science Networks - HSJ - April 2013
- How to handle NHS contract arrangements with confidence - HSJ - April 2012 (With Craig Barratt - Executive Director Workforce, Innovation and Transformation at Lancashire Care NHS Foundation Trust and Ivor Duffy)
- Challenges of EU competition law for general practice commissioning - BMJ - March 11, 2011 (With Dr Rupert Dunbar-Rees - Outcomes Based Healthcare)