David is a Consultant for the Capsticks Real Estate team and has practised as a construction lawyer for twenty years.
David's experience covers a range of construction and engineering sectors, including office, commercial and residential developments, process plant engineering, telecommunications networks, high rise lifts and escalators, and waste recycling.
David has advised on hospital and healthcare developments, accommodation and secure unit projects for hospitals and mental health trusts, and projects with specialist technologies.
David advises on the construction aspects of project and development agreements, agreements for lease, as well as for the full range of building contracts (JCT, NEC), collateral warranties, security and other related documentation. He is also fully familiar with partnering and procurement contracts, such as Procure 21 and LIFT.
David also advises on disputes across the full spectrum of dispute resolution on the full range of contentious matters such as final accounts and defects, both for live and completed projects.
David has lectured at Cranfield University's School of Applied Sciences and the Centre for Innovation, and regularly speaks to client at in-house seminars, presentations, workshops and training programmes.
- Various hospital projects, including new build and refurbishments under PFI, Procure 21 and 21 plus, and direct procurements up to £200m
- Specialist wings, units and equipment installations, including ISTC, cardiac catheter, MRI, X-Ray, linac and radiotherapy units, hyperbaric medicine, accommodation, educational and training centres up to £50m
- Numerous LIFT projects for both LPA and LRA, including variations up to £50m
- UK property developments for values up to £200m
- UK projects for water, waste recycling, and telecommunications links for values up to £90m
- Healthcare Centre leases involving fit outs up to £10m
- Disputes relating to design and workmanship, and defending against Contractor claims
- Managing contractor insolvencies
- High and low rise lift, escalator and mechanical & electrical installations (hospitals and other developments)
- Asbestos and Legionella management and claims
BA (Hons) Jesus College Cambridge June, 1980
MSc in Construction Law and Arbitration King's College London December, 1997